Sunday, November 29, 2015

A Belated Thanksgiving

So when Thanksgiving Day rolls around, you think about all the good turkey, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie you'll enjoy later on, right?  Also looking forward to spending time with your family and any guests or relatives that you may have over?  You're thinking that you will enjoy its holiday to its fullest.  But then, what if it's....cancelled?

This past week, both my grandfather and my grandmother have been sick with a virus that's been going around.  Thinking that it would only last for a few days, our family still discussed plans for our annual Thanksgiving celebration at my grandparents' house.  Well, I wake up at 7:30am on Thursday morning and later discovered that our celebration was being called off.  My grandparents were still sick.  However, we refused to actually cancel our celebration.  No, the family would never hear of it.  Rather, it was postponed.  And sure enough, right now as I'm writing this post, I'm sitting in one of my grandparents' two living rooms listening to the adults' chatter upstairs.  I have two cousins and my sister in the same room.  I very rarely find much interest in what the adults are talking about (is that normal for a 13-year-old?) so most of the time us kids have our own "circle time" in the family room downstairs while the adults chatter in the one upstairs.

So yes, our family gathering was put off ~ but hey, who could have controlled it?  Even though our gathering was belated by four days, we still had a good dinner of turkey; mashed and sweet potatoes; peas; gravy; stuffing; rolls; pearl onions; cranberry sauce; olives; celery; pickles; pumpkin, apple and mincemeat pies; pumpkin bread; and cranberry bars.  And very soon we'll be having a dinner, whether of today's leftovers or sandwiches ~ I don't know (And yes, I was odd enough to list every single thing included in our meal).  So, if your holiday celebrations are sometimes postponed because of illness, injury, unexpected events or whatever, it doesn't mean that your belated celebration will be less exciting and joyful than if you had had it on the actual day.

2 comments:

  1. By the way, our dinner was the leftovers and sandwiches. Lol, I should have known ~ that's usually what we have for dinner during family gatherings, because the main meal is usually closer to noontime.

    ReplyDelete